2 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup pine nuts, or walnuts
1/2 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor. Cover and blend on medium speed for about 3 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape sides, until smooth.
2. Use pesto immediately, or cover tightly and refrigerate up to 5 days or freeze up to 1 month (color of the pesto will darken as it stands).
Put on cooked pasta
Makes About 1 1/2 cups pesto
2 tablespoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large cauliflower, separate the florets
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Grease a large casserole dish.
2. Place the olive oil and garlic in a large resealable bag. Add the cauliflower, and shake to mix. Pour everything into the prepared casserole dish, and season with salt and pepper.
3. Bake for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through. Top with Parmesan cheese and parsley, and broil for 3-5 minutes, until golden brown.
We’ve taken the classic tomato-basil combination and turned it into an easy-to-eat salad (no knives necessary) that showcases the incredible flavor of sun-ripened summer tomatoes. Make the dressing ahead, and let sit overnight in the fridge to maximize flavor.
⅔ cup fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
2 ½ Tbs. olive oil
12 oz. heirloom or other peak-season tomatoes, cut into different shapes
1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved, and sliced
¼ small red onion, thinly sliced
1 ½ oz. ricotta salata, crumbled
1. To make Dressing: Purée basil and garlic with 1/2 tsp. olive oil in food processor. Stir in remaining olive oil.
2. To make Salad: Toss together tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, and ricotta salata in large bowl. Pour Dressing over mixture, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish with basil leaves.
15g medium bulgar wheat (optional)
30g fine bulgar wheat
400g ripe tomatoes
6 spring onions
2 lemons, juice only
½tsp ground black pepper
½tsp ground allspice
½tsp ground cinnamon
½tsp ground coriander
¼tsp ground nutmeg
¼tsp ground cloves
¼tsp ground ginger
175g flat-leaf parsley
80ml olive oil
Preheat the oven to 140C/gas mark 1 if using the medium bulgar wheat. Rinse the fine bulgar wheat in cold water until the water runs clear, then drain well in a sieve and put in a bowl. Fluff up with a fork.
Rinse the medium bulgar, if using, in boiling water, drain well, spread out on a baking tray and put in the oven for 20 minutes. Fluff up with a fork when done.
Meanwhile, finely chop the tomatoes and finely slice the spring onions and add both, plus juices, to the wheat. Add the juice of 1½ lemons. Mix the spices together well, and add 1tsp to the bowl.
Douse the herbs in cold water, chop most of the stalks off the parsley, and then take a small bunch, gather together on the board and slice it as finely as you can. Repeat with the rest. Pick the leaves from the mint and do the same, being as gentle as possible.
Add the herbs to the bowl along with the oil, season and toss well. Taste and add more salt, lemon juice or spice mix to taste. Scatter with the toasted bulgar just before serving.